Foraging is the act of going to the wild nature and taking something with you, whether it’s animals, plants, funghi, etc.. Although with animals or plants its generally referred to as hunting although not always.
As wuth anything else its good to keep common sense when doing so. Herbalists and plant gatherers in general usually have a good sense of how to do it without disrupting the ecosystem. But in case you think of doing it, here are some golden rules to keep in mind:
- Never take more than half of what its there
- Instead of thinking of how much you need to make something, look at the land and see how much you can take
- Never take the first or the last of what you’re gathering
- Never gather endagered species. If you need to use them, make sure you’re buying from sources that grew them themselves
- Ask for permission and thank in the end
- Dont take more than you need: and this applies not only to quantity but also to the oarts of the plants you’ll be using
- Ideally, get to know a place and it’s cycles before taking anything from it. This not only allows you to understand how much and from where you can take, but also will create a connection between you and that place – which is more likely to make you want to take care of it
There are many more, and other better articulated than these. But this is what stuck with me from what I’ve read and heard so far 🙂 hope it helps!!
[…] Herbalism […]